Potts Valley Branch

Sun Jan 16 19:40:07 EST 2022

Alex,

Thank you. I bought the book so will take a look.

   Ray Smoot

Sent from my iPhone

“The Norfolk &Western in West Virginia 1881-1959,” available from the NWHS Commissary, pages 202 – 217 covers the Potts Valley Branch.

Both the N&W and the C&O had plans that would have allowed for a connection in the area of the Potts Creek Post Office, although there was no formal agreement to do so.

The N&W chartered its Virginia & Potts Creek RR to run from the terminus of the interior & West Virginia RR to the Potts Creek PO in Alleghany County, a distance of 11.15 miles. The RR was only constructed 4.15 miles to Paint Bank, with construction complete in 1909.

The C&O graded its Potts Creek Branch for 22.97 miles, but only constructed it for 19.70 miles to Bess. The Potts Creek PO was located about one mile beyond Bess.

By 1908 the Great Lake iron ores with cheaper transportation rates significantly reduced the Virginia iron ore mining industry.

The C&O did not reach Paint Bank, the N&W did.

Alex Schust