Re: 1950’s wreck train photos

Thu Jan 27 13:12:12 EST 2022

Having been around several different wreck outfits after the 1950's I can say that I never saw any two that were alike.

While the following consist was in the 1970's I suspect that those in the 50's were similar but varied between Master Mechanic's territories.

Frankfort, Indiana - Muncie Division

Diner - Converted from heavy-weight coach, previous history unknown.
Bunk - Converted from heavy-weight coach, previous history unknown.
Flat Car carrying spare trucks
Panel Rail Car
Derrick Idler - Had possum bellies for blocking and also carried cables, spreaders, etc.
Derrick - Originally 150-ton, later relaced with 250-ton car
50-ton hopper of ballast

At least two outfits, Bluefield and Shaffers Crossing had a flat car carrying Caterpillar tractors.

W.E. Honeycutt