Durham Facilities & Personnel

Sun Mar 27 20:28:04 EDT 2022

Gordon,

You'll appreciate knowing that "Uncle Joe" brought my Dad from Durham to
Lynchburg in the spring of '54 for his first interview with the Motive
Power Dept. in Roanoke. This was his senior year at N.C. State on the GI
Bill, and he specifically remembered being amazed at the age and
reputation of the engineer.

John Garner

Regarding crew's eating, they sometimes cooked something on a small coal
stove in what I believe was the crew register room next door to the shop
office.  Passenger engineer "Uncle" Joe Richardson regularly dumped a
can of spam into a skillet along with a sliced onion and cooked it on
the stove.  This led some of the railroaders there to maintain that
onions were healthful because of his advances age. "Uncle" Joe was in
his eighty's but still ran the steam (Class K1) powered passenger train
every day between Durham and Lynchburg.  I was told that the BLE stated
that he was the oldest active engineer in the USA.  Even on the hottest
North Carolina summer day he wore heavy clothes, maintaining that
whatever kept the cold out likewise kept the heat out!

Gordon Hamilton