Pokey operations

Mon Apr 18 09:35:17 EDT 2022

Does anybody have any insight into operations at Switchback prior to the
late '40s realignment?  Coal loads would have to be rounded up from the
Angle branch, Shamokin and Elkhorn and then brought up to the main West of
the power house.  But how was the traffic controlled?  I haven't seen any
photos showing signals to stop either mainline or mine movements.  How did
they insure the main was clear when they came up?  Also, if they "pulled"
up from the bottom, the movement would be pointed West.  Where did they go
for assembly?  Did everything go West to Byrd at North Fork or even on to
Ecklmann?  Any and all thoughts will be appreciated.  Not to name names,
but I'm hoping Mr. Grant might chime in on this one and perhaps Professor
Schust.
Thanks,
Jim Cochran