Roanoke Railcams

Wed Jul 13 18:31:51 EDT 2022

There are three great Roanoke railcams.  The two mounted on the walkway
across the tracks at the Hotel Roanoke have a fixed field of view (one
east and one west) and have no advertising, whereas the third one is
mounted at the Virginia Museum of Transportation and has advertising
before it pans and zooms.  I have two questions:

1. Why does the VMT video have advertising, whereas the Hotel Roanoke
walkway cams open without advertising?

2. Is the panning and zoom of the VMT camera automatically, or is
someone controlling those functions?  I watched a video from this camera
as a crew switched the nearby Coca Cola plant, and the camera followed
the switching moves so closely that it seems as though a human must have
been controlling the camera even though it was after 5:00 PM when the
VMT would have been closed for the day.

Gordon Hamilton