signal

Sun Sep 4 16:07:01 EDT 2022

So by first admission, I'm no expert, so take anything I might offer with a grain of salt.  My guess here is that this was indeed a "stop and proceed" only indication, but one that was originally (if not still, in 1980) a PL signal, rather than a CPL.  A position light would still have the center lense for a stop and proceed indication.  Perhaps this signal never had the center lens position removed when converted to CPL ( if it was converted.  I can't see anything lit in the linked photo)

Brent
Dr. J. Brent Greer