Link Neg, NW1634, Train 17, Birmingham Special at Rural Retreat

Sat Oct 15 15:26:17 EDT 2022

Abram,

The engineer is giving a 'unconcerned/friendly' handwave to Mr. Akers.
That would seem to indicate to me that he knew what was to take place at
Rural Retreat that evening.

John Garner

Comrades Stephenson and Garner have been discussing Link Neg.  NW1634,
showing No. 17 at Rural Retreat, in a famous pose.

What I have always wondered about this negative was what the Engineman
thought when he saw a man at trackside on the platform, in front of the
telegraph office, holding up a lantern, at an hour when the telegraph
office was closed  and the Train Order Semaphore (if it was still in
service) displayed Green/No Orders.

One wonders what kind of advance information was given to the C&E on No.
17.  Perhaps a message reading:   "Photographer working at Rural
Retreat.  Any signals given by man with lantern on platform convey no
information for your train."  Which would do the job, but seems like a
dangerous message, in case some dangerous condition developed which
required the train to be flagged.

Or, perhaps, Agent/Opr J L Akers put the Order Board at Red and wrote
out a Clearance Card stating, "No Orders." But there would be problems
even with that, for the rule required that trains be notified if a Train
Order office were open an at irregular hour.

Anyone know how this whole situation was handled ... ?

-- abram burnett