Language question

Tue Oct 25 10:29:13 EDT 2022

Was the term 'engine' associates with steam locomotives during the age of
steam? I understand the dictionary definition of engine applies to internal
combustion engines just as it does steam engines.

I'm curious if that term was in common use back then; or if they called
them locomotives? I got to wondering this while looking at a photo of a
crossing sign that said 'LOOK OUT FOR THE LOCOMOTIVE'.
On the other hand, they were operated by 'Engineers'.

Mike Rector