Incident with N&W 475

Sun Nov 6 19:02:05 EST 2022

"So the smokebox is ruined but behind is the boiler tubes etc. are
they also damaged? I hope someone is cleaning out their locker. I’m
glad the number board wasn’t in the center."
From what I understand, none of the tubes or other vital components
were damaged, and Strasburg has stated they hope to have her back in
service soon, like weeks, not months. Also sounds like multiple people
were at fault, from the maintenance crew who didn't close the switch
the previous day, to the engine crew who may have been going to fast
and not paying close enough attention, to whoever should have checked
the switch before the engine went by (I assume that is someone's
duty). Someone didn't finish their job the day before and everyone
else was probably on autopilot.
Marty Flick

Sent: Saturday November 5 2022 7:27:41PM
Subject: Re: Incident with N&W 475

 So the smokebox is ruined but behind is the boiler tubes etc. are
they also damaged? I hope someone is cleaning out their locker. I’m
glad the number board wasn’t in the center.

 Sent from my iPhone

 > On Nov 2, 2022, at 6:32 PM, NW Mailing List via NW-Mailing-List
wrote:

 > Someone on FB had a view of it from the train. I don't know if
you can download that one or not.

 > This is sickening to see and hear.
 >
 > It looks like this was the first run of the day based on their
schedules for other days.
 > The work crew had been out this morning working on the new yard. I
wonder if the crew put the backhoe into storage and forgot to put the
switch back to the normal setting.

 > Phil Miller

 /> Browse the NW-Mailing-List archives at
 />