Incident with N&W 475

Mon Nov 7 11:48:56 EST 2022

No, that is not what blue flags are for. Blue flags are used when equipment (not track) is being actively worked on. A blue flag is place by the worker who needs to be protected and removed by that same worker. If there’s not someone actively working on the equipment, it should not be blue-flagged.

Track that is out of service is protected by other means such as track flags or lining and locking a switch away from the out of service track. But just because track work equipment is stored on a piece of track doesn’t mean it’s out of service.

But blue flags and track flags are not going to help you if the engineer is not looking at the track ahead.

--
Larry Stone
lstone19 at stonejongleux.com