The Arrow

Sun Nov 13 19:04:31 EST 2022

The most recent Arrow is very well put together, with great articles and
photos.

As is often the case, the cover photo is eye-catching.  I really enjoy
cabin car photos and stories and history.

Ken, I sincerely hope no one thinks you are "stroking your own ego" with
your NS 40th Anniversary photos.  They were a perfect addition to the
article.  I grew up in Bellevue, and watched the N&W > NS transition
probably not all that differently than did you guys in Roanoke.  Up north,
you just have to swap out the Southern units with ex-NKP & Wabash units.
Plus, we got to see the Roadrailers! And had some 4' 6 1/2" (or whatever
the flange distance is) parallel grooves in the surrounding streets to show
for it!  With the original self-contained railroad axle, they sometimes
either forgot to raise the track axle all the way, or the axle would
somehow drop down - I don't know which. And the ex-NKP SD9's always caught
my attention if moving around town and also working the hump.

Of particular interest to me was the BEj modeling article from Bob
Chapman.The was an excellent article with a fantastic model as a result.  I
am anxiously awaiting the next installment.  Bob, I'd like to discuss how
you plan to model (or have already modeled) the M1 if you are on this email
list?

As for the VGN stuff, it's always secondary to me, but I still enjoy it.
It's hard enough for me just trying to absorb all the N&W knowledge.

Mike Rector