I Was Told the N&W Did Extend Virginian's Electrification

Sun Dec 4 15:40:18 EST 2022

Abram,
Thank you for your post.  I’m glad you were able to confirm some of my recollections and include additional information.  I only wish you could verify what I was told about the extension of the catenary.  That would be a real gem, if true.  Like I mentioned in my original post, it’s hearsay evidence.
The same yard crewman that told me about the catenary extension also told me a couple of other tidbits that I personally observed regarding the old Roanoke Railway and Electric Company.  The company’s power plant and street car storage barn still stood in the early 1970s.  The power plant was demolished years ago.  But the old car storage barn exists to this day.
When street cars exited the trolley barn, they turned left and proceeded dircetly under the Walnut Avenue bridge to Williamson Road where they turned left and passed the Virginian passenger station to access Jefferson Street.  But before the street cars could reach Williamson Road, they had to cross a diamond over N&W’s Winston-Salem line and then cross another diamond over the Virginian.  By the early 1970s, the diamonds were long gone.
But two artifacts from Roanoke’s street car era under the Walnut Avenue bridge still existed that the crewman pointed out to me.  First, the street car tracks in-between the two diamonds were easily observable.  Second, there was an old signal light suspended under the far end of the bridge that alerted street car motormen whether to stop and stay or to proceed across the diamonds.  Although the signal light still existed in the early 1970s, it no longer worked of course.  As I recall, the signal more closely resembled a basic traffic light than a railroad signal.
About ten years ago, I went back to the Walnut Avenue bridge to see if anything from early 1970s survived.  The street car signal under the Bridge was gone and so were the tracks.  The tracks had either been subsumed by the ground or, more likely, pulled up and sold for scrap.
I’ve attached three photos that I thought might be of interest:  The two black and white photos are the result of a street car crossing the diamond under the Walnut Avenue bridge at the same time as a Virginian locomotive.  Either the motorman ran the stop and stay signal or the signal did not exist at the time and this collision was the motivating factor for its existence.
The color photo is a recent Google street view taken from Williamson Road looking under the bridge.  The Virginian tracks are in the foreground and the N&W Winston-Salem tracks are in the background.  The old street car access tracks were in-between the railroad mains in parallel with the bridge overhead.  The signal light was suspended under the bridge just beyond the N&W tracks.
Bill KingArlington, Virginia