Photo of Air Brake Badge Plate

Fri Dec 16 15:53:15 EST 2022

Abram
Do you recall what kind of rolling stock this plate was affixed to?   Please identify.  Thanks for any additional info.

Sent from my digital telegraph key
Jim Stapleton

I promised a photo of an Air Brake Badge Plate to either this List, or the brothers over on the VGN List.

Finally found a badge plate, so here is the photo.  Unfortunately it is from a different road.  Somewhere around here the is an N&W badge plate. Be patient.

At the places I worked, I generally had an under-the-table agreement with the Shop Foreman.  When I ran across something desirable in the field, we arranged for the car or engine to be shop tagged for something everyone would believe and no one would check.  "BCO" was our standard... that stands for brake cut out.  The equipment went in the shop, the "work" was taken care of, and the equipment came out the next afternoon.  He pulled and deep-sixed the shop tag, so the equipment  never officially went into shop status.  I went home with one item, and he he went home with the other one.  This type job had its own name:  "Government Work."

When I got this plate home, I found out the reason I could not remove it in the field.  Namely, at the time the plate was installed on the car, the carman used his hammer and cold chisel to nick the threads on both bolts, to prevent the nuts from vibrating loose.  The Shop Track had bigger wrenches than I had, and easily overcame the nicked threads.

Tach-mint.

-- abram burnett
ERROR 404 -- NO TURNIPS FOUND HERE

<2022_12_16_#001__Air Brake Badge Platge_edited.jpg