switch stands

Mon Dec 19 13:48:10 EST 2022

I recall some previous discussion on this topic, but not the detailed
information.  In looking through the archive's drawings, I see the
manufacturer RAMAPO most prevalently.  Also, I was able to read one note
that said on single track where passenger trains were run regularly in
reverse, there should be one placed at facing points of switches.  Where
else would they have been used.  Is the difference between tall and short
only for visibility like regular versus dwarf signals?  From the drawings,
it appears all were made to have a lantern mounted on top.  Would the
signal maintainers install lanterns on all of these every night?  I assume
only two indications:  green when the switch was in normal position and red
when it was in reverse.  Any information of where signals stands were used
on the N&W will be greatly appreciated.
Jim Cochran