switch stands

Tue Dec 20 16:07:23 EST 2022

Found two great photos in the archives showing all kinds of signaling made
at the West end of the middle siding at Glenhayes.  NW06732 shows a dwarf
for Eastbound movements on the Westbound main.  I assume this would be for
a Westbound to back cars into the middle siding.  Located just behind the
dwarf is a high switch stand indicating the switch in the normal position.
Is the only reason to use a dwarf here so as not to obscure the switch
stand?  Seems like a high semaphore signal could replace both the dwarf and
the switch stand here.  Was this combination used to reduce
cost/complexity?

NW06732 taken from a bit further East and looking back West, shows another
switch stand with lamp only, located on lefthand side of the Eastbound
main.  There is also something I haven’t seen before called out as a switch
indicator on the righthand side of the Eastbound main.  Was this just to
point out to the engineer to look to the left for the switch stand?  It
appears there was plenty of room to place the switch stand on the righthand
side.  The switch stand was probably there for reverse movements out of the
middle siding onto the Eastbound main as all information for Eastbound
movements would be given by the two-arm semaphore.

Please correct this stuff I have made mistakes on and add any additional
information on operations for this and similar locations.

Thanks,
Jim Cochran