The Class A and Roller Rods

Mon Jan 9 14:27:16 EST 2023

38% weight difference is impressive! I don’t recall reading a specific number before. Thanks Bud.

Is there a visible difference in the wheel centers? I assume counterweights would be smaller (or thinner?) to offset the lower revolving weight - and maybe a bit smaller for the reciprocating component?

Off to the archives to check photos.

Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio

Sent from my mobile

Jimmy,

The two main reasons were expense and a lack of need. When 1235-42 were built in 1949-50, three had conventional rods and the last five lightweight rods like the J's. The lightweight rod A's cost about $50K more to build because of the rods and the redesigned wheel centers to accommodate the rods weighing 38 percent less. The A's with conventional rods were adequate for moving heavy freight trains between major terminals of about 120 miles where each engine were lubricated after each run. The lightweight A's were for special used in passenger service, moving troops trains and later Time Freights 77 and 78 over three districts without having to lubricate the rods.

Bud Jeffries