N&W lantern on eBay

Mon Feb 6 11:17:01 EST 2023

All:

As an FYI

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285134748928

Purporting to be a Norfolk and Western early lantern, already at over $400 as of this morning.

I will preface by saying that I am not a lantern expert, but having done a bit of research on this, can say this design lantern dates to about 1849, which pre-dates the Norfolk and Western itself by 22 years.

While it would be nice to think it is so, it is far more likely the Norwich and Wooster railroad founded about 1833 and running its first trains about two years later.

Lantern design had changed by the 1881 enactment of the Norfolk and Western, and this design had long been supplanted by more common designs.

Just wanting folks to know in case they thought this might be something Norfolk and Western. It is indeed a rare lantern, but in no way shape or form related to Norfolk and Western.

Best
Ken Miller