N&W lantern on eBay

Mon Feb 6 19:36:12 EST 2023

Brian

The N&W was originally organized as Norfolk and Western Rail Road after the AM&O went into bankruptcy in May 1881. Then the N&W RR went bankrupt and was reorganized in September 1896 as Norfolk and Western Railway.

As far as I know, there was no government agency at the time to prevent two railroads from having the same initials, therefore you could have the Norwich and Wooster, Norfolk and Western and perhaps a few others.
From the railroadiana online data base:

NATCHEZ & WESTERN, Disposition/Successor: MISSOURI PACIFIC
NEBRASKA & WESTERN, Disposition/Successor: GREAT NORTHERN
NEWPORT & WICKFORD Disposition/Successor: NEW YORK, NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD
NORFOLK & WESTERN Locations: VA, NC, WV, OH
NORTHERN & WESTERN, Disposition/Successor: CANADIAN NATIONAL
NORWICH & WESTERLY, Locations: RI, CT
NORWICH & WORCESTER, Disposition/Successor: NEW YORK, NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD

This lantern is called a “fixed globe” type, which means the globe is not readily removed from the frame. It was introduced in the 1840s, and by the time of the transcontinental railroad completion in 1869, a newer design, most called the “tall globe” lantern had been introduced about 1865. These globes were removable, and a huge improvement over the previous “fixed globe” lantern.

It is most likely by the time of the arrival of the N&W in 1881, the fixed globes were rapidly disappearing or already gone for lack of convenience.

I’ve seen lanterns marked with both N&W RR and many with N&W RY. But the initials and dates are always a bit suspect, as apparently during the USRA era, the N&W became a RR under them, and things have been marked N&W RR that are clearly not early enough to be the 1881-1896 period.

It is a neat lantern and in the display case in Roanoke at the Archives is a lantern of this type, with a cut-style “N&W” in the globe. Yes, when it was given to us, we knew it was not Norfolk and Western, but accepted as a great example of an early lantern that could well have been used on the predecessor roads.

Best
Ken Miller