Class A sheathed smokebox.

Tue Feb 7 13:18:29 EST 2023

If you're going to go down this sheathed/unsheathed smokebox rabbit hole,
you might as well go all the way down and throw in the airline cooling
radiators on the front engine.

I always thought they were only present on A's until I noticed a radiator
on a Y6a.  I also thought all A's got them, but this is not so, either! It
seems a quite few Y5's got them, which makes some sense as the Y5's ended
up doing yard switching would would have involved a lot of frequent
braking.

I have not noticed any Y6b's with the radiator.  I think I've heard it
called an "aftercooler"?

Here is Y6a 2167 (I've cleaned up the color, compared to the original scan)
https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=209169
[image: image.png]

Mike Rector