O scale & structures

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun May 29 11:56:58 EDT 2005

I am running my O scale layout with Easy DCC and I love it.  My layout is in a 20 x 20 garage in FL.  (I did put a portable air conditioner in there to make it somewhat bearable in the summer)  I am modeling the 50's.  I am a fan of N&W steam but I did buy 2 GP9 models from Red Caboose and put P&D motor kits in them.

Ted and the Fox Valley O Scalers are great guys.  I operated with them when they had the open house the year the O Scale national was in Chicago.  Ted can also point you in the right direction for having a decoder installed in the Kohs engine.  (Does yours have the Dallee sound system in it?)

The total of my motive power consists of:
A Thomas industries 2-8-0 ( I think I paid 350.00 for it) that resembles the N&W G class.   It has an open frame motor , a lenz 1835 decoder (32.00) and a Dallee steam sound system. (about 100.00) Sycronized chuff with whistle and bell actuated by function outputs from the lenz decoder.

An MTH Y6b (the original mth 2 rail version about 1100.00)  I took all the electronics out of it and put a Lenz 1835 decoder in that one too.  No sound yet.  The 2-8-0 was my first try at sound and I am hooked.  Hope to put sound in this soon.  Dallee is offering the "Right" sound system for this engine.

The 2 Red caboose GP9's which have the repower kit from P&D. (They don't get much time on he layout)

And I have a M 4-8-0 being built for me by Ed Reutling to arrive in July.

My layout is still unfinished but operating.  I have a lower level loop  with a helix leading to the second level.  On the lower level one wall is a staging area (three double ended tracks and a stub)  This is also where the command station for the Easy DCC lives.  On the opposite wall is a single ended yard with five tracks and a arrive/depart.  We use the main to runaround.  I have a wye which leads to the entrance of the helix.  The upper level has two active coal loaders and a 3rd in the works.  At the end of the line on the upper deck will be A John Allen type switching town.  (really an excuse for the boxcars I have aquired.)

I have only just begun operations.  Basically The GP9s bring coal trains from the staging yard to the mashalling yard, Swaps emptys for loads and and returns to staging.  The Y6b takes empties to the upper deck and exchanges for loads.  The G pulls a mixed train.  The G will be  be replaced by the M when it arrives.  The G will become a switch engine.

So thats it.  I am sure I have bored you all by now.  So take the good and forget the rest :)
Have a good day.

Tom Lewis in FL.