Modeling those impressive pusher operations

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Oct 3 22:17:52 EDT 2005

I think in most if not all cases on the N&W (Ed King, Bob Riffe, Larry
Ziegler correct me if I am wrong) the pusher engine was coupled to the rear
of the train and the air brakes "slaved" to the train brakes. If the pusher
was above a certain horsepower it was set in ahead of the caboose, at least
that is what I observed in the diesel era. For a while in the mid to late
nineties trains were being set up in Flat Top Yard in Yards, VA/Nemours WV
to cut the pusher on the fly. A utility brakeman stationed there would
assist the helper "crew" consisting of an engineer in setting up the
helper. There was a device on the helper which allowed the engineer on the
helper to "bail"the independent brake on his power and this would activate
the device which would then uncouple the helper "on the fly" and the train,
in theory, would continue on through Bluefield; the Virginia Div crew
having been jitneyed to Falls Mills to take over the train there, six miles
into the Poky sub. On uncoupling the helper engineer would get verbal
permission from the dispatcher to make a reverse move, usually being told
to be governed by the next set of signals behind him. This practice was
abandoned when it seemed that many of the eastbound coal trains would have
to stop in Bluefield anyway for such things as "sticking brakes", "no ice
in the cab",, "a shortage of toilet paper" and whatever else crossed the
fertile minds of the VA div crews. In our "miniature" world of condensed
model railroads you might want to consider that the time spent hooking up,
getting the air and then stopping to uncouple etc. would enhance our
operations by making the time to move your train over the road a little
longer and thus more realistic.

Dan and Nina Mulhearn; Pipestem WV
dannina1 at earthlink.net
Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.