Signal aspects - eror in email addressing

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Jan 17 20:40:53 EST 2008

I believe the ³upper left ­ lower right² diagonal indication is used the
same way the lowest of the three arms was on semaphores. I heard signal
towermen refer to those bottom arms (which were also shorter than the two
arms above them) as ³calling arms². This arm could only be raised to a 45
degree angle, and could over-ride some of the interlocking components to
allow a train to enter the interlocking ³prepared to stop short of
obstruction² . Jim Mihalek referred to this indication as ³restricting² for
trains entering the yard. When I used to ride the Rock Island commuter
trains into Chicago from the Morgan Park branch, the Gresham Junction signal
would give a lunar white indication on the bottom of three heads to indicate
that the train would take the curved path through a double slip switch to
get on the express track. So, this ³restricting² indication apparently can
be used for any very slow speed operation past a home signal. Another
advantage of the position light signals was that this third and lowest
signal indication on three arm home signals could be combined with the one
above it by reversing the angle of the row of lights.

Bob Folsom
Clemson, SC