Switch back for elevation

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Jan 26 11:16:23 EST 2009

Gentlemen,
I have a two questions I'm hoping that some one will be able to answer without giving me alot of percentages.
My son and I are building a layout that will have logging area that will be 3 inches up from the 2 inch foam base that will sit on 1/2 inch plywood.
My questions are how long do we need to raise up 1/2 inch at a time to switch backs and how wide do we need as we will be using #8 turnout and #8 curved turnouts to reach the 3 inch high logging area?
We have 9 1/2 feet from the starting point to the first turnout by 7 inches to the 3 inch point of the last turnout.
This layout was planned with 3rd Plan It software.
Thank you for your help.
Yours aye,
Macdonald, RB