N&W caboose paint schemes

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sat Feb 5 18:26:48 EST 2011

The only cab built in Ironville (Toledo) during 2-53 was C-9, 557-763. It was a copy of the W&LE C-8s. (Ironville was formerly a W&LE facility becoming NKP following the lease of the W&LE to the NKP). I spent many, many hours in and around Brewster, OH when I lived in NE Ohio in the early to middle 1970's. I got to know many N&W employees most of whom were former W&LE. I never remember any complaints about any of the cabs used during that period as hated or being coffins by train crews. The vast majority of the cabs through Brewster were C-6s, C-7s, C-8s, C-9s, C-19s, and C-20s. These are as one would expect are former W&LE/NKP, NKP, or P&WV cabs. Western Maryland cabs were also through there on occasion. What was the problem with the C-9 that warranted the comment? I too am curious?

Regards, Ed Painter Narrows, VA currently living in Russellville, AR