Starting point for HO N&W SD40

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Feb 19 15:55:33 EST 2014

Carl,

I would start with the Kato SD40. This is what I have/will use for all four of my SD40's, 2 N&W and 2 Southern. The N&W is the easier of the two. While all Kato's are DCC friendly the early versions require more work as they have the old gray contact board. There were two runs by Kato. It is pretty much a straight forward build for the N&W, using Cannon cab and high hood kits. I have not looked at the RTR Athearn made from the RPP tooliing but it might be lacking. Athearn cancelled a re run of them last year due to "bad molds" needing retooling.

James Wall
Rural Hall, NC