Model reviews

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Jan 30 12:54:27 EST 2015

I want to make a comment regarding the accuracy of MR reviews. The current review of the VGN AG 2-6-6-6 is a case in point. While the review pointed out the most glaring problem with the sand domes there are other detail problems with the model. First, the VGN lettering was not yellow but gold. VGN also would paint over the gold with varnish which gave the lettering a bronze tint.  The lettering on the tender is placed too high. The large "VIRGINIAN" was not original to the AG class as delivered from Lima.  The original lettering was the then standard smaller lettering found on all VGN steam locomotives until the arrival of the BA class 2-8-4's in 1946.  The larger lettering on the AG came after the first shopping of the class and was placed in the center of the tender side both from a length and height perspective.  The cab window frames on VGN steam locomotives were painted red not yellow.  The small "Virginian" on the sand dome is on the rear dome on
 the model.  It belongs on the forward dome. Any builders photo would have displayed this location.   C&O tenders on modern locomotives, such as the H-8, had the stocker motor in a compartment with an access door  on the fireman's side. The VGN AG had the stocker motor  in the usual place under the cab on the firemen's side. Looking at the photos of the model I can not see a defined stocker motor under the cab. An AG would be a very difficult locomotive to hand fire.  The review makes the following statement regarding the whistle on the AG; "The whistle has the deep steamboat quality of the prototype". Anyone who has read H. Reid's book on the Virginian Railway would know that the AG's did not have a deep steamboat whistle. The whistle on the Ag's was a sharp single tone high pitched scream.  Reid noted in his book that the whistle did not fit the locomotive. I can attest to the scream sound it made as I lived near the VGN track in Norfolk and heard the
 AG's whistle many time in my youth.  And last, MR made this statement; "On the Virginian, the Blue Ridge engines worked the relatively flat (0.20 percent grade) route from Roanoke to Sewall's Point, VA.  A single locomotive could haul 4,500 tons or 165 cars over this route." There are several mistakes in this statement.  The ruling grade eastbound was 0.20 percent but the westbound grade was 0.60 percent.  The tonnage for the AG eastbound out of Roanoke was 13,000 tons. From Victoria to Norfolk the tonnage was 14,500 tons. Westbound with empties the tonnage from Victoria to Roanoke was 4500 tons. If, as implied by the MR review, an AG could only handle 4500 tons up a 0.20 percent grade it would have been a very sorry locomotive.  Another item to remember regarding the VGN operating  practice was that VGN would not run a train longer than its major passing sidings. To do so would jam up the entire subdivision. The AG's could have pulled more tonnage,
 especially between Victoria and Norfolk, but the length of time on duty for the crew and for the crews it encountered would have greater.   Over all for the model all I can say is- I like the tender. Harold Davenport