Signal Heads

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Jun 20 15:12:51 EDT 2016

Jim B,
If you just want intermediates that show clear, approach and "stop and
proceed", the old IHC targets are not too bad.  They have shades molded in
and a ridge/lip around the back to hold a PCB that would be populated with
LEDs.  On the down side, all of their features are too thick to be
prototypically accurate in scale.  As you know, on the prototype the
circular target was just a relatively thin disc of sheet metal with holes
that allowed the shades that were attached to the lamp assemblies to
protrude.  The individual lamp assemblies were mounted to the spider (hub
with pipe spokes) and the hub was affixed to the mast.  Metal strips
extended from the ends of four of the spoke pipes to the back of the target
disc and were attached thereto by ? rivets?  Making a good scale model is
tricky due to the quite small dimensions of some of these features.  I have
been wanting to try etching brass sheet for ladders and other parts of
these signals.  Would the resource you used for the etched parts of your
car kits still be available?  I have some preliminary mask artwork and I
think there might be enough interest to warrant a small production run.
Jim Cochran

On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 1:08 PM, NW Modeling List <nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org