HO steam details for "Turret"

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Feb 24 01:26:30 EST 2019

I've searched books and examined my models to explain that "turret" and "turret cover" are two different things.  On various Y class engines there is a turret on top of the boiler in front of the cab. There is a long pipe running from the steam dome to the turret. In this case the turret is a distribution box with four lines running out of its back side into the cab. Perhaps "manifold" is a better term. One pipe in, four out, plus one short pipe with a globe valve. A fairly simple setup for N&W locomotives, and there is no turret cover.  There is not a lot of piping or exposed globe valves like engines on some roads which use a cover with a hinged lid. The pipes running out of the turret provide steam for various steam driven applicances on the locomotive. I have 5 books covering some or all of N&W Y classes and no where are drawings which adequately show this. All the drawings are side views.

So I have 4 models:  Rivarossi, Precision Craft, and PFM/United Y6b, and a Key Y6a.  My findings: the Rivarossi makes an attempt.  The Precision Craft is very good.  The 1960 vintage PFM completely misses the mark.  The Key get an A.  The Key Y6a is a stellar model.  In all fairness, the PFM is a decent model for its age.  It is a smooth runner, but with gear noise.  Detailing is good, but the turret and pipe from the steam dome look ridiculous.  If I had only drawings to study, I could not have figured this out. I bought the PFM model at an estate auction 25 years ago for a modest amount, unpainted in its box. No way would I spend $1,200 for one on eBay now.

To answer Marty's question, I couldn't find any HO castings close to what is on my Y6a. The shape of the Cal-Scale turret 190-323 is close, but the piping on it would mostly need to be cut away.  Same for the Cary 13-173.  The fix for this would be to scratch built.  A rectangle of brass 8mm x 3.5mm x 3mm will make the turret.  3 sizes of brass wire for piping, and two castings for pipe fittings with globe valves.  That's it. You don't even need to bend the pipes. If I get the time I will take some photos of these models.

My theory why the S1a was the only N&W class with turret covers is that they were copies of the S1 bought from C&O. All C&O's modern steam had turret covers.

--Rick Morrison