Proto 2000 Heritage 2-8-8-2 decoder

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Oct 2 12:20:53 EDT 2020

Hi,

First: this is just my opinion and experience.  I have not played with lok
sound steam, but I have used basically all the sound decoders.

I use tsunami 2 and tsc wow sound depending on the locomotive.  I think the
tcs sounds the best by far, by leaps and bounds.  Tcs only weakness for n&w
is the n&w hooter is not from a A/Y... It's actually the n&w M that still
runs in excursion.  The same hardware does not sound the same in real life.
The tsunami has a better hooter for an A/Y (but at lower quality....in that
tsunami sounds are "lower bit").  I hear the difference, but I don't think
either is bad. The tcs short whistle is good.  The start toot-toot is
really nice as its a real recording vs computer playing two "toots".

The tcs high base speakers are amazing....They actually move air and make
some bass noise.  Use two of them in series for either decoder (need two
since they are 4 ohm, or you need to cut volume to 50% max with one
speaker).

I think the tsunami has the most bullet proof electronics. So I use tsunami
on locos that are rougher running.  My brass M and M-2 use tsunami.

I use a TCS in my proto 2-8-8-2.  I used to use a tsunami in it.  Just
remembered if you drive bulbs you need a 101 wow, not the one with the 21
pin.  It runs perfect with the TCS.

I would not use other than tsunami or TCS, but that is just me.

I hope that helps!

David Baker