As Built RS3's

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Jul 18 14:50:10 EDT 2022

Larry and Greg,

According to *Norfolk and Western: First Generation Diesels,* by Bob
Bowers, the first four RS-3 locomotives delivered in 1955 were numbered 96
(9/55), 97 (9/55), 98 (9/55) and 99 (10/55).

The second set of four RS-3's were delivered in 2/56 and numbered 92, 93,
94 and 95.

All eight of these locomotives were numbered in the 300 series in March
1956, per a caption in Jim Nichols *N&W in Color* from Morning Sun.

You are correct that the locomotives would have been painted N&W Black with
dulux gold stenciling for the road name and unit number.  There was no
herald, or monogram, on these units when delivered.

I do not have any photos of these units as delivered; a quick search of the
NWHS archives did not reveal any either.

If you do modify the Bowser units, please consider documenting with photos
what you do and submit an article the Arrow.

Jim Brewer