Airbrush Paint

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun May 28 20:53:29 EDT 2023

What works for me.
I have been reading along on air brushing. The hobby best recommend air brush is the Paashe H air brush, I have used it for years with great success.
I got to talk to Boyd Reyes one of the top painters ( which has painting videos on Brassrains.com website) in March of this year. He has arrived at the same place as I in air brushing. I started with Floquil years ago, then went to Scale coat paint because of the finer pigments in the paint. I did not like the idea one paint for brass and another for plastic. Different thinners, twice as many bottles and thinners (Scale coat I & II), long dry time and “baking” brass.  Then trying to figure out which top coat goes with which let alone the limited supply of colors. I purchased a unpainted brass model in March and the manufacture recommended SEMS grey self etching primer. It is air brush ready and shoots at 8-10 psi.  This is what Boyd is using and said he would not use anything else on brass. I use SEM and ‘Love It’! The acrylic paints were a pain to me. Here today gone tomorrow, limited colors, to top coat before decals or not to topcoat.
True Color Paint is my go to paint now. First time I have got a factory finish with out the hassles.  TCP paint in actually and ink not a paint so that it can be deluded if need be and it will not lose it’s shine and not counting the short drying recoat time/decal ready. The top coats are amazing with gloss, satin and flat flavors.. There are numerous railroad box car colors than one would think, let alone most every railroad color including N&W Pelver blue and the new N&W red passenger car red for the 80’s. One note on the TCP paint is do not substitute using their thinner. They have several videos on youtube on using their paint which I found very helpful when I was starting out using the paint. All I will say is that I have painted a lot of models and now I have some of the best factory finish looking model without all the hassels.
Stephen Rineair

Sent from Mail for Windows