N&W caboose project Spring Mills Depot status

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sat Jun 24 10:54:07 EDT 2023

I don’t think the statement that they don’t produce is fair. They have been overly ambitious in announcing their production schedule and were crippled by unforeseen circumstances like every other manufacturer. It’s fine IMO to call them out on that but the comparison to Rapido is unwarranted. The models that they have delivered have all been gorgeous and support/customer service is good. I have a Chessie cab, a few covered hoppers, and 20 or so DODX flats in hand or on order and all are among the highest quality models available.

Full disclosure – I did request my payment back a couple of years ago and received a prompt refund. I don’t doubt that they’ll get the CFs done but it was a sizeable chunk and the value of the money invested elsewhere exceeded the discount at that point.

I’ve voted for Rapido with my wallet quite a bit as well. Probably a lot more than Spring Mills. Between the RS11s (which are bad on many levels), the B36-7s (also with prominent errors), the E8s (significant errors) and other well-documented mistakes, I am very thankful that Rapido is not doing the CFs. I’m just a Monday morning QB but to me, there seems to be some type of internal communication/quality/consistency gap they are fighting within their project management team coupled with an aggressive operational tempo. Some projects are great and some not so much and my guess is that “cranking out product in record time” is at the root of their quality issues. I want them to succeed and they are getting better but at least with Spring Mills, I haven’t encountered models that disappoint me.

Greg Davis
St Pete, FL