N&W caboose project Spring Mills Depot status

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Jun 25 16:29:23 EDT 2023

Roger,

I think you are being overly critical of SMD. You make the following broad statements:

1)    The SMD models are exceptional. Given.

2)    You understand the manufacturing issues. Do you know exactly what the problems were that SMD and other manufacturers were facing? Were the problems identical for all manufacturers, large and small alike? Did large companies have advantages (i.e. capital, a dedicated team to work on issues?) over small companies when it came to solving issues?

3)    Other manufacturers have overcome these problems. See 2) above.

4)    Other manufacturers are producing excellent models now. How do you know they are excellent? Have you examined and tested them all for accuracy, quality and performance?

5)    You know it’s 2 guys. These 2 guys are doing it ALL themselves. They don’t have marketing teams, production teams, teams that work with suppliers, sales teams, customer relations teams, etc. You name it. They have to do it all themselves besides work a job.

6)    Other small companies now and in the past have been able … What small companies? Are their products comparable to SMD’s products? See 1) above. You can have something generic slapped together and distributed more quickly than a quality product that has been carefully researched, developed to include what is necessary to meet the specific requirements and details of the product and finally, produced to the highest standards expected by consumers. Of course what some customers expect and are happy with is an individual choice.

7)    Just why is it Atlas, Rapido, Athearn and others … See 5) above. Do these companies only have a 2 person staff that handles the production of a product from beginning to end and deals with problems that might arise along the way?

8)    I don’t know anything about Rapido either but I would bet that SMD’s products are as good as and probably better than anything Rapido produces. That goes for all of the other big manufacturers you also list. Atlas and Athearn have produced some real junk in the past. How many of those big manufactures would even think about producing such a variety of quality N&W cabooses? If you want variety, quality, attention to detail and value for your money, you may have to wait because only a small company of 2 guys are trying to do what the other big companies won’t do.

Carl Miller

Kingsville, MD