N&W station green model paint

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sat Jul 1 10:37:00 EDT 2023

For acrylic paints, you're probably going to have to get inventive.
Tru-Color uses acrylic pigments but also contains acetone. Model Flex
is the only company I am aware of who still has a large assortment of
railroad acrylic colors, but I've never been a big fan of how their
paint sprays. Each bottle is different, and they generally have a
short shelf life.
Mission Models makes some acrylic paint that airbrushes nicely, but is
too thin for a paint brush in my opinion. I haven't looked at Tomiya.
The craft store water based paints need more thinning than most hobby
paints, but have a great variety of colors. So a trip to a hobby or
craft store with an old bottle of paint or good picture to start
comparing and matching seems to be in order. Personally, I've always
been a proponent of if it looks good to you, that's good enough. So
find a color in a line of paint that you like working with, and go for
it. If you want a starting point, look at paints marked Forest or
Campground Green, rich dark greens. I personally feel olive green is
too light for what N&W used.
Marty Flick

NW-Modeling-List"