rivet strip removal

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Sep 13 02:30:32 EDT 2023

This is aimed at Jim Nichols and anyone else with experience in
removing molded in features from plastic rolling stock.  I am considering
attempting to remove a raised rivet strip (3 wide) from the sides of a
passenger car.  Jim, I know you have addressed this type of operation
previously and if my recollections are correct, perhaps suggested a chisel
type blade such as the xacto 17 or 18 for this type work.  My fears are
leaving deep gouges in the sides which I would of course, like to be
completely smooth when all is said and done.  This would be on an O gauge
car, so there is a good mm of material that would need to be removed.
Should I approach the job as taking it down in small layers until I reach
the level of the sides or start in at the base (side level) and try to stay
aligned as I work in from both sides.
All thoughts and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Jim Cochran