rivet strip removal

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Sep 13 10:44:52 EDT 2023

 Jim: I sharpen my chisel blade with a whetstone (also my single edge razor blades). Over time, this does slightly round the corners. To remove unwanted details from styrene castings, I take a little off at a time. When I think I am down to the bottom, I use the blade (vertically to the surface) to scrape where the edges were, assuring that I have removed it all and that no edge will show up after painting. BTW: If the part I am working on is already painted, so much the better. When My scraping removes paint from outside the edge, I know I am finished. You can finish up with fine grade sandpaper if you like, but scraping usually yields a smoother surface.
The key word is patience. I have been in the hobby for 77 years, and I still make mistakes, mostly because I get in a hurry.
Jim Nichols