[om-list] relationships in OM

Luke Call lacall at onemodel.org
Fri Sep 1 10:02:35 EDT 2000

In thinking about modeling relationships in OM (and in working on the
use cases to propose to the group), I want to suggest for your feedback
that a class is really just a query. Here's why. There are many types of
classes, say "picture frame", and "aluminum object" and "border" which
may not fit into neat hierarchies, even with multiple inheritance. But a
query can resolve any grouping if the criteria are on data stored in the
system. And a query can be stored with a name and other attributed if
needed, just like a class.

What do you all think of that?

This solves problems that I was running into with trying to model
relationsihps. It deals with some "is-a" issues but leaves other
relationships that we need to handle.

I still need to review some of the emails of the past week, from Tom and
Mark.
--
Help us put all knowledge in one bucket: www.onemodel.org.
Note to friends/family: my email address is changing from