[om-list] use case list: 2nd try

Tom and other Packers TomP at Burgoyne.Com
Fri Sep 15 21:58:15 EDT 2000

Om

    I'm on the same page, with Luke and Mark.

tomp

----- Original Message -----
From: Mark Butler <butlerm at middle.net>
To: Luke Call <lacall at onemodel.org>; <om-list at onemodel.org>
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2000 8:16 AM
Subject: Re: [om-list] use case list: 2nd try

Hello everybody,

For user interface purposes, we should add separate use cases for "create
relationship", "edit relationship", "move relationship", and "delete
relationship".
Internally, a property and a relationship are actually the same thing, but
making the distinction on the user interface level makes life much easier
for
users who do not want to consider that abstractions like "height", "weight",
and "color" are relationships to or between full blown entities.
Traditional
data modelling makes a distinction between the latter, which is called a
"domain" and the former, which is called an "entity".

>From a user interface point of view, you need to have the two entities
ahead
of time to create a relationship (e.g. by connecting them together with a
relationship tool and two mouse clicks), but when you add a property, the
true
domain or counterpart entity of the property may be left undefined until
later.  When we have a graphical interface, we need a way to view only
include
the entities and relationships we care about, because otherwise the
resulting
network can be a nightmare to comprehend.

By the way, when I said text user interface, I meant a command line
interface
for low level testing purposes.  If we are going to build a real user
interface, it should be graphical.

- Mark

Luke Call wrote:

> With adjustments & hopefully much learned from Mark and Tom's messages
> on modeling, here is another try at a use case list. If this is OK for
> now we can begin to add details to each use case, and do a domain model.
> Thoughts??  There are still issues with relationships between objects,
> and I'm sure an expert would do this differently, but I feel a need to
> move on. I suppose these need to be detailed out by stepping through the
> scenarios & seeing how each one would be handled.
>
> The main thing here is for anyone to consider what they would add, to
> the basic list of user-oriented features for our phase one product.
>
> Possible Use Case List for Phase 1:
> ----------------------------------
> -system startup (load data, prompt user)
> -add new object
> -enter name
> -add property [could be a relationship, or not]
> -choose type ["basic"/atomic, or object/class thing]
> -edit property
> -delete property
> -delete object
> -navigate (through relationships between objects & properties)
>
> Luke

Mark Butler        ( butlerm at middle.net )
Software Engineer
Epic Systems