rebuttal -- Re: [om-list] Re: Cyc example

Tom and other Packers TomP at Burgoyne.Com
Fri Sep 29 21:20:37 EDT 2000

OM

    Wasn't that ironic.  I didn't realise what I was doing when I started
writing about what I did, and happened to be writing from Jeremy's computer
(because his computer was convenient at the time).  I got a big laugh out of
this when the irony hit me.

    I'll try not to be a deconstructionist.  And I'll try to let you know
what context I'm talking in, whether it be mathesis, or predicate calculus,
or ...  I'll try to send letters from the right computer, too.  These are my
lips flapping.  They may look like Korean lips from time to time; but I
assure you, they are my lips.

:-)

tomp

----- Original Message -----
From: Jeremy Almond <jeremy at thoughtform.com>
To: <tomp>
Cc: OM List <OM-List at onemodel.org>
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2000 6:45 PM
Subject: rebuttal -- Re: [om-list] Re: Cyc example

Mark

    You're right about FOPC.  It is meant to be higher and more general than
what you thought I was talking about, and therefore not restricted to any
one "interpretation", such as "second order predicate calculus", or
mathematics, etc.

    But I did not think I was putting words in anyone's mouth.  I was using
mathetical terminology in describing FOPC; I didn't think that I was
converting or warping anything on the semantic level.  Is that what you
meant?

    On the metalinguistic level, the quantifiers and variables of FOPC *are*
quantity and and quality.  They are analogous to quantities and qualities on
the linguistic level.  This quality, represented by a variable, can
represent just about anything else on the linguistic level, including other
qualities and quantities or mixtures.  (And there's nothing else it could
represent, according to mathesis: quantities, qualities, or mixtures.)  So,
I don't think what I said was incorrect.

    I don't care that FOPC doesn't use the word "quality" in describing its
variables.  It should come up with some construct or idea distingishing
number and state.  Otherwise (according to mathesis and MW) it is missing
something important.

    I probably should "qualify" my statements by saying that I'm using the
term "quality" from the context of methesis.  But ... I don't know.  I've
assumed that, since it's me who is talking -- since these are my lips that
are flapping -- that it is my context you should assume is being spoken in.
Just as, if what I say is oppinionated, then you should assume that it is my
oppinion being spoken from, not someone elses'.

    But I will try to be clearer, since I do shift from context to context.
I will try to preface things with "MW" or something.  "Em-Veh" means
"MetaWeltanschauung", but you can assume it also means "Mathetical Worldview
[follows]".

tomp