[om-list] Pragmatism

Mark Butler butlerm at middle.net
Mon Mar 19 12:48:43 EST 2001

Tom,

 Independently existing means that the existence of a real object is not
contigent on the quality of perception or thought of an external
observer.  Such abstractions as language, laws, manners, and social
conventions are real.  No change in the thought process of an isolated
observer has any effect on the actual properties, predominance, or
operation of such ideas in the minds of the population at large.

- Mark