[om-list] Re: Observation

Lee Howard redder at deanox.com
Mon Mar 19 21:29:01 EST 2001

At 02:48 PM 3/19/01 -0700, Mark Butler wrote:

>but it is pure sophistry to suggest that we fundamentally change the
>nature of the universe through any common perceptual or mental process.

Yes.  So much for mind over matter.  ;-)

In a very basic way in discovering existence, we first conclude our own
existence.  Shortly thereafter, and possibly by that simple conclusion, we
should also know that there exists more than ourselves.  If our existence
achieves definition, that act of definition should also define a portion of
negative space, or what we are not.

I think that's what the point of "independent existence" is.  Certainly two
entities in proximity (the same dimension) affect one another, but my
control over anything else is completely subject to its permission and my
obedience to laws that govern it, regardless of how much affection (heh) I
give it.

Lee.