Unified Modelling of Arbitrary Complexity -- was Re: [om-list] Functional dependency of binary relations

Tom and other Packers TomP at Burgoyne.Com
Sat May 5 11:18:30 EDT 2001

Mark

    Isn't there a problem with the fact that if you give objects
point-position values, position will become ambiguous: two objects can have
the same centroid.  (I anticipate "yes" in some applications, and "no" in
others.)

    Personally, I think we should find a fully general way of modelling any
arbitrary level of complexity, but one that is simple enough that you don't
have too much wasted overhead if you only model simplicity.  (I call it
mathesis, even before I know what mathesis looks like completely.)  If you
tried to store things geometrically, yes, you would need an awful lot of
storage space.  This is what I think is a main benefit of using a good
language (like Mathesis, which will be both symbolic and geometric), and the
benefit it gives of allowing us to always abstract out commonly-occurring
patters-of-use within the language, in addition to allowing us to abstract
out patterns in the world we are modelling with it.  If that doesn't make
any sense, I'll try to give examples later.

    If that makes it run to slowly, we'll have the option to increase the
speed and the storage.  I think OM should be about options: the user has the
option to use a powerful feature if he doesn't mind additional costs
elsewhere.

    Of course: the reason we look at time differently is the fact that it
physically behaves differently.  But I think there's enough similarity in
all dimensions that we can abstract out, or generalise, in such a way that
our model is simple and yet complete (powerful).

    OM is intended to be One Unified Model, able to model everything, right?
Someone out there will have a *need* to be able to model temperature as a
function of four dimensions.  To this person, it will be worth the
relatively high numbers of storage units and clock-cycles needed.  Let's
find a way to seamlessly integrate this person's model with the average
person's (simplified) model.

tomp