[om-list] Re: Language Power

Tom and other Packers TomP at Burgoyne.Com
Wed May 9 20:45:53 EDT 2001

Luke

    Your talking about Java so much evoked that comment from me.  I don't
really have a lot of support for what I meant by it.  I didn't necessarily
mean to say that we should use Lisp instead.  I just mainly wanted us to
keep an open mind, and not get stuck with whatever language(s) we were used
to.  (Probably goes without saying.)

tomp

----- Original Message -----
From: "Luke Call" <lacall at onemodel.org>
To: <om-list at onemodel.org>
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2001 6:28 PM
Subject: Re: [om-list] Re: Language Power

Your point may be good about "blub". But how would lisp handle terabytes
of data, and our requirements? We've been over this in detail, remember?
I have used lisp (the scheme dialect, taught by one of the leading
lights at the time) and couldn't seem to find ways to map it to the real
world, though I asked the professors about it a lot back then (10 yrs
ago). Like how to do object systems (write your own), persistence (not
discussed), access to operating system facilities, databases, or other
necessary utililties (well, didn't know, weren't so interested in that
anyway), etc. Great for AI and education, they kept saying--so I say we
may use it for that, as described below--as an embedded language to
express things within the model that rows/columns can't so well (as
discussed before), like formulas, algorithms, and actions performed by
entities in the model, and perhaps more.

But to go beyond there I probably need to be educated.

:)

Luke