[om-list] Databases

Luke Call lacall at onemodel.org
Sat May 26 09:53:54 EDT 2001

Agreed on all points, as far as I can tell.

As far as languages go I always appreciate reading what you say. What if
you compile the scheme/lisp code to java bytecodes and execute it right
in the jvm, alongside the code from java/python/whatever other language
you need at the time? There is a very interesting scheme tutorial (for
people new to programming but he also has good ideas about making things
readable I think), at http://www.htdp.com.

The framerd documentation has got me thinking about modeling our data in
objects and how basic algorithms would work. Not to say we have to use
it but it's got me thinking. I haven't got into their source code yet.
Do you think their code decent enough that if we used it, we could live
with it? I'm wondering if their development community is stagnating,
which would mean we would probably be doing some maintenance on the code
base ourselves. They have so many interesting features (text processing,
nondeterministic data, other things you've pointed out, some data from
cyc etc) that it seems like it could be a very effective tool for
getting a first prototype out, whether it used java or scheme/lisp or a mix.

Luke