[om-list] Re: time series data analysis system

Tom and other Packers TomP at Burgoyne.Com
Mon Sep 10 20:53:46 EDT 2001

I'll be thinking about this.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Butler" <butlerm at middle.net>
To: "Tom and other Packers" <TomP at burgoyne.com>
Cc: "One Model List" <om-list at onemodel.org>
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2001 8:23 AM
Subject: Re: time series data analysis system

Tom and other Packers wrote:

>     How much help could I ask from the OM group in writing my shell-based
> time-series data analysis system?

Speaking for myself, I would be happy to give you advice from time to time,
but I am probably not going to to be motivated to write any code unless you
release it under a suitable open source license.

If you have plans to make future versions closed source someday, you could
either do it under a BSD style license or make arrangements with all the
material contributors to a GPL type project.

Under BSD style licenses, parties (e.g. Microsoft) are free to take source
code and incorporate it into a closed proprietary product.  The GPL license,
on the other hand, is designed to keep the source code open forever.

In any case, the actual authors have the freedom to change the license of
future versions at any time, since they are the copyright holders whose
rights
form the legal basis for enforcement of such licenses.

 - Mark