[Fwd: [om-list] Why use C# instead of C/C++?]

Luke Call ldsworldnews at onemodel.org
Fri Nov 23 18:01:41 EST 2001

C# may have advantages but it still "feels" proprietary--yes, I'm aware
MS has plans/submissions to standards bodies and Sun didn't etc., but
you can't use C# in the foreseeable future without M$, as you can use
Java without Sun, (unless Mono really matures and is ported widely and
remains "compatible", which time will tell). I don't trust M$' and I'm
sure they'll do what they can do make C# work better on Windows, and not
be compatible elsewhere. Will be very interesting if that doesn't
happen. In the meantime, Java is everywhere--learning it today means you
can code in so many different OS'es and environments--pda, web, client,
server, gui, daemon, stored procedures, etc, and vendor support is good
across the board (with a single large exception). Since I'm not smart
enough to learn too many languages, I'm (tentatively) sticking with a
menu of C/C++, Java, Perl/Python, or Scheme/Lisp for now, depending on
the application.

Luke