[om-list] 4c

Luke Call lacall at onemodel.org
Mon Jan 7 22:21:21 EST 2002

Sorry (again) so late in responding, Tom.

Tom and other Packers wrote:

>     Could you explain to me again what you do.  It had something to do with
> business knowledge.

I am a developer with the group that does software for automating
proceses related to documents, at Micron. Workflow, document storage,
web access, version control/security, interface maintenance (both for
programmers and end-users),e tc etc. I do enjoy it. I'd love it if
sometime it developed more into a knowledge management thing.

FYI, recently I discovered a web sit with a very interesting concept: http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki   The innovations they have that stand out to me

most are their interface (so simple to edit things, not even html just
text), and the fact that anyone can edit anything (w/ backups, and an
entire web site can become a community product--everyone improves on
everyone's work.

If I had discovered something like it 5-8 or so years ago I might not have started thinking as much about OM, but OM needs a full object model.

>     I'm thinking of starting 4C as a data analysis service provider, as I
> develop the software (before trying to sell the software), and it seems to

 >     The main problem here is, I don't know very much about business.
  Could

> you (and Mark, and Lee) consider this idea?  Also assume that we could
> develop a useful system for predicting patterns, given enough data to
> analyse.

I wasn't a successful businessman, so can't offer much good advice. Hmm.
It does seem to me that one approach is to get one customer. Know their
needs, without charging them anything (because you're not offering much
yet), and meet those needs. Then if they need your continued services
you'll both figure that out as things roll on. (In other words, next
time I wouldn't quit my day job, and I'd learn to provide a service and
get one customer, then two then three, before I tried to make serious
money.)

But Mark and Lee will clearly be better at that.....

Luke