[om-list] Open Source Search Engine

Thomas and Megan Packer ThomasAndMegan at Middle.Net
Wed May 15 10:21:40 EDT 2002

Mark and Other OM people;

    You might agree that there might be a better name for an open-source
search engine than SemanticSeek.Com, (which I bought recently), since I
don't think I want to focus on the semantic aspects of it until after the
open source aspect of this proposed search engine is proven to be popular or
unpopular.  Should I buy another domain name, or no?

    "OpenSeek.org" is available.  Should I necessarily use a .org tld, or
does it not matter?

    Also, to generate the most interest possible, it should look like a
legitimate open source project.  Do you have any organisations you could
suggest I pattern mine after?  Please explain your "why's" and "why not's".

        And how would I go about advertising this?  How does one generate a
lot of support for an open source project?

    Feel free to visit my new webpages at www.ontolog.com.  It's very rough,
and very incomplete, but it's there.  It's mainly there to help me,
personally, right now do things such as keep track of URLs that I use
frequently.  But eventually it will be a real company web page.

    So, if any of you have any advice at all about starting an open source
project in general, and an open search engine in particular, please speak.

    After I have decided I have found all the easily-findable contributors,
I will ask them about how to focus efforts, such as concentrating on a
particular subject area, etc.

    Danke,
tomp

P.S., Mark,

two other questions: (1) Saturday night at my house, and (2) my "Web
Application" problem in VS.NET.

Thomas et Megan sum, quem nihil obstat.
ThomasAndMegan at Middle.Net
Omnia apud me mathesis fiunt.