[om-list] Regular Expressions

Thomas L. Packer at home ThomasAndMegan at Middle.Net
Sat Aug 31 11:13:46 EDT 2002

I forgot to mention...

    I think my ASPs will be advantageous over frames and the like because
ASPs are sequential and abstract in the right ways, and language patterns
seem to follow very sequential, often abstract, patterns like this.  By
abstract, I mean that certain parts of a sequence that we might be
interested in are not concrete, that is, there are extensionally or
intensionally definable elements (sets) found within language sequences.

    For example, supposed I want to search for every document that talked
about "C#.NET".  But since there are other .NET languages, and there is a
pattern in language (at least in English) that one could call "abstraction",
I should not just look for "C#.NET", rather I should look for "C#.NET" and
"C# and VB .NET", and all other instances of language where the ".NET" has
been "abstracted out" of an expression.  So I would search for "C#",
followed by some small number of characters, followed by ".NET", as my first
approximation for this pattern.  There might be even more sophisticated
patterns that would work better, but I think you understand my idea of
abstract sequences.

    Or, here's a better example of extensionally defined sets.  Supposed I
wanted to find one of the particular language used with .NET.  I would
define the language name extensionally: NetLang = ["VB" | "C#"].  Then if I
wanted to search for that slightly abstract language set, consisting of two
instances, I might search for this expression: Find( NetLang " .NET" ).

    Does that make sense?

    Relating these patterns to semantics is another story, which I think
will require a different format than my ASPs alone.  That's when I would add
my MTL (mathetical traversal language), which would define graphs or
relations to be traversed, from ASP-space to semantic space, and vice versa.

tomp

Víðar sum quem nihil obstat.
www.Ontolog.Com