[om-list] Dimensions in knowledge space

MrM0j0r15n Rajeev the kanehbosm electrickanehbosm at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 2 15:35:10 EDT 2002

Hello Mr Butler and other friends,

I have a question regarding your discussion on dimensions in knowledge
space. My questions is, wouldnt, any "non-normative" KRS based on dimensions
of quality, immediately degenrate into an infinite dimensional knowledge
space ? How does one utilise the useful concept of dimensions without going
overboard ?

For, eg, if OM were to be used in say political analysis, we might arrive at
a point where we need to "ask" OM, of how one event is similiar to another
event. In my opinion (uneducated), we would now need an additional dimension
just to formulate such a question. Going in this direction, where can we
find the upper limit on the number of dimensions required ? Also, even if we
were to consider only "primitive" dimensions, then the formulation of such a
question would amount to writing a program or a very complex state machine.
Is this opinion of mine baseless ?

Also, Luke, has mentioned that the personal organizer is based on a graph
formalism (what i understood). So, searching for relationships among objects
is the same as spreading "activations" from both objects and looking for
places where the activations meet, especially those places that have some
conceptual relevance to the question posed to OM. Luke, could you explain
how this formalism is different from frame representation ?

thank you
insanekane

PS: have any of u seen Chocolat ?